Pennsylvania School Law requires that all applicants for employment in public and private schools, employees of independent contractors seeking business with public and private schools, and student teacher candidates undergo background checks if they will have direct contact with students. Clearances must be obtained for the purposes of employment therefore clearances obtained for other reasons and organizations may not be transferrable. Clearances must be verifiable by the school district. SLSD requires new employees, coaches and volunteer coaches, pre-service teachers/interns and contractors to submit clearances that are no older than one year (12 months) from the date of issue. Existing employees must renew clearances every sixty (60) months.
The following three background checks are required:
- Child Abuse History Clearance
- Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Records Check
- Federal Criminal History Record Information (CHRI)
Federal Criminal History Record (Act 114)
Fee as of 1/1/2019: $23.85 - Payment is made online at the time of registration by credit or debit card. No cash or personal checks are accepted.
- Applicants must register online with IdentoGO before visiting the fingerprint center.
- Enter the code for employment purposes, 1KG6XN (only the PDE version is accepted for employment).
- Report to a fingerprint center. Center locations can be found on the IdentoGO website.
- Record your UE ID registration number (a series of letters and numbers). You will need to provide this to the school district for verificaiton purposes.
- PDE will receive the Federal Criminal History Report from the FBI. You will receive an unofficial copy by mail. The District cannot provide you with an official copy.
Pennsylvania State Criminal Record Check (Act 34)
Fee: $22.00 - PA residents may apply online using a credit or debit card or by mail.
Online Applicaiton for PA Residents:
- Visit PSP (PA State Police Record Check)
- Cick the GRAY link, "Submit a New Record Check" and indicate the reason for the request as employment.
- Immediately print your report (requests made online will not be mailed to applicants).
Applicaiton for Out of State and PA Residents who apply by mail:
- First obtain your FBI clearance (see above).
- Go to Help PSP (PA Criminal History Check) to download form SP4-164 to submit a request. Mail to Pennsylvania State Police Central Repository-164, 1800 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg, PA 17110-9758. If you request clearances by mail it may take several weeks.
Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151)
Fee: $13.00 - Applicants may apply online using a credit or debit card or by mail.
- Login or Create an Account to apply online using the PA Child Welfare Portal. If it is your first time visiting the site, you will be asked to create a Keystone ID user name. Follow the instructions to create a password. Be sure store your Keystone ID and password in a safe place for future use.
- Use your current address, and the check the "School" option under "Purpose of Clearance".
- Your results may be immediate. If not, you can log in at a later time to view the status of your results. You will be mailed a copy of your results.
Applications by mail:
- Complete PA Child Abuse History Certificaiton CY113 form or Spanish version CY113 form and send it to the ChildLine and Abuse Registry, Pennsylvania Department of Human Services, P.O. Box 8170, Harrisburg, PA 17105-8170.
Act 168 - Sexual Misconduct/Abuser Disclosure Release
In accordance with Act 168 of 2014 and in advance of employment all applicants must also provide a statement using the PA Sexual Misconduct/Abuse Disclosure Release form identifying whether s/he has been the subject of an abuse or sexual misconduct investigation, been disciplined, discharged, non-renewed, asked to resign from employment, resigned from or otherwise separated from employment while allegations of abuse or sexual misconduct were pending, and/or had a license, professional license or certificate suspended, surrendered or revoked while allegations of abuse or sexual misconduct were pending or under investigation or due to an adjudication or findings of abuse or sexual misconduct. This form is to be completed by successful candidates as part of their pre-hire paperwork. Do not send Act 168 forms yourself. Provide these completed forms to the Human Resources Department Administrative Assistant.
Reporting Arrest or Conviction (Act 24) Requirement:
In accordance with Act 24 of 2011 and 82 of 2012, all school employees are required to report to the Superintendent or the Director of Human Resources within 72 hours of any arrest or conviction of a Reportable Offense listed in Section 111(e). The PA Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification (PDE-6004) form shall be used for these reports. The law provides that willful failure to timely report any such arrest or conviction can result in termination of employment. For complete information see the left sided link Obligation to Report Arrest/Conviction.