Southern Lehigh High School National Honor Society
The objective of this chapter is to create an enthusiasm for scholarship, to stimulate a desire to render service, to promote worthy leadership, and to encourage the development of character in all students. Candidates who are eligible for induction to this chapter must:
- Be members of the sophomore or junior class
- Have a minimum cumulative, weighted GPA (including works in progress) of 3.65 at the conclusion of 1st semester
- Exhibit leadership and a desire for service
- Be positive role models and lead by example
- Have no single discipline referral above level 2
Students who meet the eligibility criteria are invited to apply for membership beginning mid-year of the 10th grade.
Activities of the organization include tutoring, community service, and fundraising for scholarships.
- Pennies for Patients is a major fundraiser coordinated by the Southern Lehigh chapter of NHS. This fundraiser collects money to be donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
- Peer tutoring is a mandatory service program provided by NHS members. Students can sign up to receive help in any subject, and they will be matched with an appropriate NHS member. A minimum of 3 service hours are required in tutoring to maintain membership. Tutoring can be completed in or outside of school.
- Monthly Mandatory Meetings will be held via Zoom on the first Wednesday of each Month. These meetings are vital in receiving important information about NHS activities and membership requirements.
Membership Requirements to fulfill the four pillars of NHS:
Members must maintain a cumulative, weighted GPA of at least 3.65 in order to continue membership in NHS. GPA’s are reviewed following the end 1 st and 2 nd semester. If a member’s GPA drops below 3.65, the member will receive a warning letter stating that his/her GPA has fallen below his standard. Once a warning letter is received, a member will be given at least one semester to meet the academic standard. Dismissal from NHS will occur if the GPA does not meet the standard by the end of the next semester following the warning letter.
Every member has made a commitment to volunteer by choosing to be inducted into NHS. Members must complete a total of 12 hours of service each year, with a minimum of 3 hours completed in tutoring. 6 hours are due by the end of 1st semester, another 6 must be completed by the end of 2nd semester; all hours can be completed in the summer. In order to receive credit for service hours students must log them in x2vol.
- Examples of acceptable service hours include but are not limited to, tutoring, volunteering at a church, volunteering for a non-profit organization and volunteering for Key Club activities.
- General Rule: Service should be an afterschool activity with no monetary compensation.
NHS members may have no single discipline referral above level 2. Specific infractions that are contrary to the four pillars of the NHS such as theft, cheating and plagiarism will be grounds for
NHS members are not required to hold elective office. They are expected to exemplify being a positive role model and a committed member of NHS by attending mandatory meetings.
- Meeting Attendance Policy: NHS members will log their attendance at each meeting by completing an NHS Attendance Form with the appropriate "codeword." If a member misses a meeting, he/she needs to complete an NHS Attendance Excuse Form within three days of the missed meeting. If an excuse form is not turned in within the three days, the absence will be marked as unexcused. Two unexcused absences will result in a warning letter; a 3rd unexcused absence will result in a dismissal from NHS.
Degrees and Certifications:
Advisor - TBD
Current NHS Officers
Our current NHS officers for the 2021-2022 School Year
President: Andrea Keiper
Vice President: Alex Lyon
Treasurer: Alex Kane
Secretary: Sofia Boensch
Students who are in need of extra help can receive free tutoring from one of our National Honor Society members. Tutoring will take place during Spartan period.
To be matched with a tutor, sign-up on the below form. Once you are matched, you will receive an email with the tutoring information and your schedule will be changed for the duration of the semester.