The Middle School Guidance Department will be hosting our annual 6th grade Parent Orientation and Course Selection evening meeting on April 28, 2021.
You can tune into the Zoom meeting with the following codes.Link to join WebinarPassword: 026099
6th Grade Parent Presentation for SLMS Course Selection
Navigating Middle School
SLMS Music Course Selection
Frequently Asked Questions – MS Course Selection
6th grade Parent Presentation April 2021
- How is my child’s Math and ELA placement determined?
- Placement in Core Academic Courses (Math, Academic Literacy, and Language Arts) will be based on a holistic review of both student achievement and growth data. Multiple data points will be used, which may include performance in 6th grade courses, results from state testing (5th grade PSSA) and standardized screeners (STAR, TDA writing prompts.)
- What is the difference between Honors Language Arts/Honors Academic Literacy and on-level Language Arts/Academic Literacy?
- Expectations are higher in the Honors classes; for example, vocabulary is more challenging and writing pieces may be more difficult. Students in this class are expected to work more independently and have a firm grasp on grammar rules. Students should also be proficient in writing. Students meeting criteria to be placed in Honors will be placed in both Honors Language Arts and Honors Academic Literacy. Students will not be placed in one honors course without the other.
- When will I receive the notification on my child’s course placements for their core academic courses?
- In early summer, a list of registered courses will be sent home for you to review.
- What is the process if I do not agree with my child’s placement in their courses?
- If you believe your child is placed incorrectly or do not agree with a course placement, please contact either the Intermediate School Guidance office or the Middle School Guidance office. They will be able to give you the information involved in deciding on the placement for your child.
- What will be the program for Spanish Immersion students?
- Spanish Immersion students will be taking Spanish Immersion Social Studies in both 7th and 8th Both grade levels will also have an accelerated Spanish World Language component. In 7th grade, the accelerated Spanish will meet every third day for the whole year. If your child is in Spanish Immersion he/she will not have the exploratory World Language wheel for 7th grade.\
- Can my child take both Chorus and Band/Orchestra?
- A student can only take one Performance Music as a class for the Arts rotation. However, a student can participate in two out of the three during the activity period. If this is pertinent to your child, please note this information on the “Counselor Help” section of your child’s online course selection sheet. You must specify which one your child will be taking as the class.
- Is there a required summer reading assignment for incoming 7th graders?
- Details about the summer reading will be distributed to the 6th grade students later this spring.