Substitute Teaching

  • PA Certified Teachers and Emergency Permit Substitute Teachers

    • If you hold an active PA Department of Education issued educator certificate or a current emergency permit and would like to substitute teach in SLSD, apply to the Substitute Teachers job posting through the Online Applications portal. Please upload a copy of a valid PA educator certificate or emergency permit.
    • PA educators with inactive certificates must complete their Act 48 requirements prior to applying to substitute teach, and may only substitute up to 90 days per school year. 

    No Certificate but interested in substitute teaching?

    • If you do not hold the proper certification but have a conferred bachelor’s degree, a school district can hire you if you obtain an emergency permit. An emergency permit allows individuals to perform day-to-day substitute services. Emergency permits are valid for one (1) school year and can be reissued annually.
    • Our local Intermediate Unit, Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit #21 (CLIU 21), conducts annual training for persons interested in obtaining an emergency permit and substitute teaching. Inquiries concerning CLIU's Guest Teacher Program can be directed to 610-769-4111 or click on the following link for more information: CLIU Guest Teacher Program.